Adult circumcision is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the foreskin from the penis. While traditionally performed for religious or cultural reasons, it is increasingly sought after for its potential benefits on sexual satisfaction and overall well-being.
At California Adult Circumcision, Dr. Mo Bidair, a highly skilled and experienced urologist specializing in adult circumcision surgery, offers comprehensive adult circumcision procedures. Located at Alvarado La Mesa Urology Center near San Diego, our practice is dedicated to providing personalized care and achieving optimal outcomes for our patients.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Adult Circumcision
- 3 Does Circumcision Affect Intercourse?
- 4 Will Circumcision Affect My Ability to Orgasm?
- 5 Common Health Reasons for Adult Circumcision
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Preparing for Circumcision
- 8 Adult Circumcision Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 How Much is Adult Circumcision in San Diego?
- 11 FAQ
- 12 References
Before and After Photos
About Adult Circumcision
Adult circumcision is a medical procedure that involves the removal of the retractable fold of skin covering the head of the penis, the foreskin, or prepuce. While circumcision is commonly performed on newborns, some adults may choose to undergo this surgical intervention for various personal or medical reasons.
Types of Circumcision
Does Circumcision Affect Intercourse?
Adult circumcision is a personal decision. And, for many men, there are inevitable questions that come with it. One aspect that individuals often consider when contemplating adult circumcision is its potential impact on sexual function, pleasure, and overall sexual experience. It is important to address these concerns with clarity and honesty.
While the removal of the foreskin does result in physical changes to the penis, the impact on sexual satisfaction can vary among individuals. Some studies suggest that circumcised men may experience a decrease in penile sensitivity compared to those who are uncircumcised. However, more robust studies and systematic reviews of scientific literature indicate that circumcision has no adverse effects on satisfaction, sensitivity, sexual function, and sensation. (1)
It is important to note that adult circumcision does not have any direct negative effects on sexual function or pleasure. In fact, many men report increased comfort and improved hygiene after the procedure.
Will Circumcision Affect My Ability to Orgasm?
A common concern among patients considering adult circumcision is how it may affect their ability to orgasm. It’s important to note that the impact on sexual sensation varies from person to person. While some individuals may experience changes in sensitivity, others may not notice any significant difference. Dr. Bidair is a highly skilled and experienced surgeon who understands the delicate nature of this procedure. He takes great care to preserve nerve endings and ensure optimal cosmetic and functional results.
Masturbation After Circumcision
Masturbation is a natural and healthy form of self-pleasure and sexual release. It has numerous physical and psychological benefits, including stress relief, improved sleep, and enhanced mood. However, after adult circumcision, it is important to give your body ample time to heal before engaging in any sexual activities, including masturbation.
Read our Circumcision Recovery article for more details.
Common Health Reasons for Adult Circumcision
Several penile conditions can affect a man’s sexual comfort and ability. These include the following.
- Phimosis – One of the primary health reasons for circumcision is the treatment of phimosis. Phimosis occurs when the foreskin is too tight and cannot be retracted over the head of the penis, leading to discomfort, difficulty urinating, and an increased risk of infections. Circumcision can effectively alleviate this condition by removing the problematic foreskin.
- Balanitis – Balanitis is inflammation of the head of the penis and the foreskin and can be a reason for circumcision. This condition and a related condition, balanoposthitis, can cause redness, swelling, pain, and discharge, and it can be recurrent. By removing the foreskin through circumcision, the risk of balanitis can be significantly reduced.
- Paraphimosis – Paraphimosis is a condition wherein the foreskin becomes trapped behind the head of the penis, which can be a medical indication for circumcision as well. Paraphimosis requires immediate attention to prevent complications such as tissue damage and restricted blood flow.
- UTIs – Urinary Tract Infections are more commonly seen in uncircumcised males. The warm and moist environment created under the foreskin can promote bacterial growth, leading to UTIs. Circumcision can help reduce the risk of UTIs, particularly in infants and young boys. (2)
- STIs – Sexually Transmitted Infections can also be a consideration for circumcision. Some studies suggest that circumcised men may have a lower risk of contracting certain STIs, including HIV. (3) However, it is important to note that safe sexual practices and regular testing also remain crucial in preventing STIs.
- Frenulum Breve – Frenulum breve refers to a short or tight frenulum, the band of tissue connecting the foreskin to the underside of the penis. This condition can cause pain during intercourse or erections. In such cases, circumcision may be recommended to alleviate discomfort and improve sexual function.
When considering adult circumcision, it is crucial to consult with a skilled and experienced physician like Dr. Bidair who can provide personalized guidance and address any specific concerns or questions you may have. Your consultation will involve a thorough evaluation of your medical history, physical examination, and a discussion of your goals and expectations.
Ultimately, choosing adult circumcision can provide peace of mind regarding overall genital health and alleviate anxiety related to potential complications. Dr. Bidair will address any concerns you may have during the consultation, ensuring that you feel confident and well-informed in your decision.
During your visit, Dr. Bidair will take the time to understand your medical history and discuss your specific needs and desires. He will explain in detail the numerous advantages associated with adult circumcision. These include improved hygiene, as the removal of the foreskin allows for easier cleaning, reducing the risk of infections and other hygiene-related issues.
Preparing for Circumcision
- Discontinuing blood thinners, supplements, and other medications: It is crucial to follow Dr. Bidair’s instructions regarding the discontinuation of any medications that may interfere with the surgical process or impede the healing process.
- Nicotine cessation: If you are a smoker or use any nicotine products, it is essential to stop their use in the weeks leading up to your circumcision. Nicotine can impair healing and increase the risk of complications. Remaining nicotine-free throughout your recovery period is equally important to optimize your results.
- Prescription fulfillment: Before your procedure, we advise you to fill any prescriptions for pain medication and antibiotics. This proactive measure ensures that you have the necessary medications readily available to manage post-operative discomfort and prevent infections.
- Transportation arrangements: Depending on the type of anesthesia used during your adult circumcision, it may be necessary to arrange for a ride home and an escort. Your safety and comfort are paramount, and having someone accompany you after the procedure can provide peace of mind and support. Almost all the procedures are done under local anesthesia and you can drive yourself afterwards without any problems.
- Time off from work and social commitments: Adequate rest is crucial for a smooth recovery. Dr. Bidair recommends coordinating time off from work and social commitments to allow yourself sufficient time to rest and heal. This will enable you to fully focus on your recovery and maximize the benefits of the procedure.
Adult Circumcision Procedure
The adult circumcision procedure itself typically takes about 30 to 45 minutes and is performed under local anesthesia. Dr. Bidair utilizes advanced surgical techniques to minimize discomfort and promote optimal healing. The surgery involves removing the excess foreskin, carefully suturing the incision site, and providing post-operative care instructions to facilitate proper healing.
Dr. Bidair ensures that his patients are well-informed and prepared for their healing journey. Healing for Adult circumcision is somewhat different from healing after infant circumcision.
During the recovery period, it is normal to experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort in the genital area. Dr. Bidair advises his patients to take proper care of the surgical site to facilitate optimal healing. It is crucial to keep the area clean and follow any post-operative instructions provided. Very detailed post op instructions are given after the procedure.
How Much is Adult Circumcision in San Diego?
It is important to note that each patient’s circumstances are unique, and a personal consultation with Dr. Bidair at California Adult Circumcision is necessary to provide an accurate estimate of the cost of adult circumcision. Please contact our practice at (619) 486-5005 to schedule your consultation and discuss your specific needs and goals.
Will adult circumcision affect sexual function?
Many studies have shown that adult circumcision does not have a significant impact on sexual function or pleasure. Some individuals report increased sensitivity and improved sexual satisfaction after the procedure. Every individual’s experience may vary, and it is essential to discuss any concerns with your surgeon before making a decision.
Is adult circumcision recommended for hygiene purposes?
One of the common reasons adults opt for circumcision is for improved hygiene. The removal of the foreskin can make it easier to maintain genital cleanliness, as it eliminates the potential buildup of smegma, a substance that can accumulate under the foreskin. Proper hygiene is essential for reducing the risk of infections and maintaining genital health. However, it is important to note that good hygiene practices can be followed regardless of circumcision status.
- Morris BJ, Krieger JN. Does Male Circumcision Affect Sexual Function, Sensitivity, or Satisfaction?—A Systematic Review. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2013;10(11):2644-2657. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12293
- Morris BJ, Wiswell TE. Circumcision and Lifetime Risk of Urinary Tract Infection: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Urology. 2013;189(6):2118-2124. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2012.11.114
- Rasheed Z. Male circumcision and human immunodeficiency virus infection: An update on randomized controlled trials and molecular evidences. International Journal of Health Sciences. 2018;12(1):1-3. Accessed December 18, 2023. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5870312/#:~:text=%5B1%5D%20The%20frequency%20of%20male